Sunday 23 July 2017

BookTubeAThon 2017

The BookTubeAThon has returned, with the action kicking off a week today. This year I'm aiming higher (being overly-optimistic) and am ready to repeat my success of last year (am accepting that it's going to be a one-time thing). 2017 will be my third time participating, and I'm hoping that means I've somewhat learned the tips and tricks to get ahead - we'll see.


What is the BookTubeAThon?

The BookTubeAThon is an annual readathon founded by Booktuber Ariel Bissett. It's a celebration of BookTube and everything that goes with it, and as such a collection of hosts and guest authors encourage as much reading as possible in one week. The BookTubeAThon runs from the 24th - 30th of July, starting and ending at midnight in whatever time zone you live in.
There are also video challenges posted on the official YouTube channel every day, and other competitions, giveaways and more happening on both the Twitter and Instagram pages of the event. For more information, head to any of the above.


BookTubeAThon TBR

Every year Ariel and the other hosts create a list of challenges to help build your to-be-read pile. This year there's also a giveaway to win a box of books if you share your TBR piles, head over to the reading challenge announcement to find out more.

The reading challenges this year are:
1) Read a book with a person on the cover.
2) Read a hyped book.
3) Finish a book in one day.
4) Read about a character that is very different from you.
5) Finish a book completely outdoors.
6) Read a book you bought because of the cover.
7) Read seven books.


It's quite a flexible selection of challenge this year so, of course, I had to make things challenging for myself. The books I hope to read in this year's BookTubeAThon are...


Read a book with a person on the cover - The Archived, Schwab (352 pages)
I've been meaning to get around to reading Vic's old YA series forever, so an excuse to get it off my TBR is always welcome. And, of course, there's a nice big face taking up most of the cover to complete the first challenge.

Read a hyped book - How to Be Both, Ali Smith (376 pages)
A book that's felt like it's followed me around for the last few years, How to Be Both might not be massively hyped on BookTube itself, but is definitely hyped from a huge number of literary prizes - not to mention the persistent praise from my mother. I'm looking forward to getting into this one.

Finish a book in one day - Breakfast at Tiffany's, Truman Capote (157 pages)
Breakfast at Tiffany's was one of the standout films of my childhood, and I've had my mum's copy of the book on shelf for something like eight/nine years. Coming in at 157 pages, I think I can easily finish this book in a day and revisit some nostalgia - I might even watch the film afterwards.

Read about a character that is very different from you - The Whispering of Trees,
C.Y. Bourgeois (316 pages)
I picked this ARC off of NetGalley (sometime last year, I know I'm terrible) mainly because of the premise that was so different to anything I'd really read before. We follow a young Inupiat Eskimo who has the legacy of becoming one of the most powerful shamans in history - definitely very different from myself.

Finish a book completely outdoors - Lady Mecanika, Truman Capote (160 pages)
Graphic novels are always a good thing to put on an readathon TBR to give yourself a bit of a break between the long reading sprints, and it's become somewhat of a tradition of mine to include at least one. This year I've got a collection that I know basically nothing about, past it being pushed into my hands as a recommendation, but I think it'll be a nice quick one to enjoy outside in the heat that's hovering over Britain at the moment.

Read a book you bought because of the cover - Uprooted, Naomi Novik (448 pages)
Okay, I didn't completely buy this because of the cover; there'd been some pretty good reviews circling and I loved the idea of a fairytale-esque feminist adventure story. The cover was just the final straw. I hope it's worth it, since Uprooted is by far the longest book I'm attempting to read this year, coming in at 448 pages.

Read seven books - Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov (361 pages)
I began Lolita nearly three years ago, loved it, and got caught up in college work. Now, here in 2017, I'm 176 pages through, and looking for an excuse to put time aside to finish it - thank you BookTubeAThon.

Total Page Goal: 2,170


So my final page goal is just under what it was last year - and last year I did pretty well. I completed all seven challenges, even though I switched some books around once I got into the actual readathon. Hopefully this year will go just as well despite my somewhat busy schedule.
Good luck to anyone else taking part, and happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment