Saturday 14 December 2013

Gris Grimly's Frankenstein


Book Title: Gris Grimly's Frankenstein
Author: Gris Grimly and Mary Shelley
Date Started: December 9th 2013
Date Completed: December 14th 2013
Genres: Horror, Thriller
Rating: Five stars
Review:

Gris Grimly has taken a classic horror and turned it into something hauntingly beautiful and amazing. There's an afterword at the back of this book by Grimly; he talks about how 'Frankenstein fans tend to be dishevelled, crude, rebellious and all while feeling misunderstood.' I think that defines everything I feel about the story and the book. And it definitely makes me a Frankenstein fan.

Frankenstein is a young man, eager to make his impact on the world. But as he studies the sciences further and further, he begins to obsess over his discovery. Eventually, he manages to complete his work. It is only then, however, that he realises how his personality has deteriorated, and he vows to turn his attentions back to his life and family. But it seems his achievement can not be ignored quite so easily, and Frankenstein's creation comes back to haunt him.

I've always found classics hard to get through because the language is so long-winded; the poetic nature usually seems to me to just be there, rather than have an actual purpose to the story. But actually, in Frankenstein I found that the beautiful style of narrative helped me love the story and characters even more. I was also able to read it reasonably easily.
Furthermore, I usually find that classics have a way to make the reader feel disconnected from the characters, and make them seem merely like characters in a book. However, I found that I actually understood these people without having to experience a narrative from them.

Frankenstein is a well-known horror novel, however I can't say that when I started reading this book I was completely aware of the story. It wasn't exactly what I expected; a tale of an ambitious scientist creating a horrific monster whilst losing his mind in the process. In a sense, that is what the story is about, although that's a very shallow synopsis to create. This story holds far more morals and tales of heartbreak and genuine emotions experienced through life than I thought was possible.
I don't think this graphic novel contains the entire of Mary Shelley's story, however the parts it does contain are equally stunning and captivating. I'm excited to go on to read the novel in its entirety now.
The story broke my heart, something I really wasn't expecting. I knew it was sad, but I thought it might be to do with some stupid romance in the background. Instead, I was sobbing in sympathy and pure sadness for a character who truly became whole for me in the words and illustrations provided in the book. My heart really was breaking, but not for the idea that I thought.

Classics have a way of making the reader feel very disconnected from the characters, usually due to the style of narrative. This is why I usually have a lot of trouble reading classics, however this book still allowed me to understand and feel for the people in the story, despite the style of writing.
Frankenstein, despite common misunderstanding, is not the monster itself, but instead its creator. Victor starts as an avid, enthusiastic young man desperate to make his mark on the world, much like any other young man. And he does, as works harder and harder, but things don't turn out the way he wants them to. Such is life, and I found myself feeling more and more for this character as everything started to truly crumble around him because of his actions that had sprung from good intentions. It was terrible to watch something so disastrous to send a man out of his mind - as it was in fact the consequences of his actions, rather than their actual happening, that causes our protagonist to become so terribly lost.
The Monster. I don't like calling it that, because the book tells a different story. But he deserves to be mentioned, as he is so key to the plot, and has his very own story. I'm not even sure what to say, but he was amazing, and I kind of wish he had a name because he should have one.

As well as the wonderful story, this book wouldn't be the same without Grimly's drawings. They're one of the most beautiful gothic illustrations I've ever seen. There's also a steampunk twist to them, and they're very powerful and add to the story so much.
I love the progression of Frankenstein's appearance throughout the book; you kind of forget that actually the time period is years, but the images helped me to remember the continuation. It was really amazing.

I must admit my surprise at loving this book. I mostly read it for the stunning illustrations, but I'm so glad I did read it. It's a beautiful book, both in appearance and the story. I think you probably have to have a certain state of mind to really empathise with the plot, and I consider myself one of those people.
I would recommend this to anyone who likes stories that echo the harsh reality in a heartbreaking way. It's also an amazing horror, but the story really can connect and make the reader think if they're in the right place at the time.

Image Source: https://dcomixologyssl.sslcs.cdngc.net/c/
DIG008165_1.jpg?h=a353ecfe2f603dca7e49c3686965f8ef

No comments:

Post a Comment